May 24, 2008

Thoughts on YOUNG AT HEART

(1) Brilliant songs and music, and stunning performances in some cases

(2) A reminder of mortality at work - two performers died during the making of the documentary, and one about 9 months later

(3) A sobering thought - my parents are not that much younger than the youngest members of the choir

(4) It is refreshing in this day and age to see a director of a documentary NOT appear in the film anywhere (this may explain the occasionally shaky camerawork - in fact, even in a scene in a car where the director is PRESENT, he is magically not seen, though, at least then, one presumes he was NOT holding the camera)

(5) If I reach that age, I hope to be able to sing such songs (of course, I would know that, by the time of SHOULD I STAY OR SHOULD I GO?, the Clash were pretty much a pop band, and that, though they are about the right age for its heyday, I'm not sure Sonic Youth would EVER have described themselves as 'punk' either...)

No comments:

Blog Archive